Re: [BUG] Re: Linux 6.4.4

From: Joel Fernandes
Date: Mon Jul 24 2023 - 09:39:10 EST

On Sun, Jul 23, 2023 at 11:35 PM Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 12:32:57AM +0000, Joel Fernandes wrote:

> > > Agreed, if there are enough kthreads, and all the kthreads are on a
> > > single CPU, this could consume that CPU.

> > > Or just use a single hrtimer-based wait for each kthread?
> >
> > [Joel]
> > Yes this might be better, but there's still the issue that spt may not be set
> > back to 0 in some future release where the thread gets starved.
>
> But if each thread knows the absolute time at which the current stutter
> period is supposed to end, there should not be any need for the spt
> variable, correct?

Yes.

> > > Good point, if this avoids the problem, that gives a strong indication
> > > that your hypothesis on the root cause is correct.
> >
> > [Joel]
> > And the TREE07 issue is gone with that change!
[...]
> > Let me know what you think, thanks!
>
> If we can make the stutter kthread set an absolute time for the current
> stutter period to end, then we should be able to simplify the code quite
> a bit and get rid of the CPU consumption entirely. (Give or take the
> possible need for a given thread to check whether it was erroneously
> awakened early.)
>
> But what specifically did you have in mind?

I was thinking of a 2 counter approach storing the absolute time. Use
an alternative counter for different stuttering sessions. But yes,
generally I agree with the absolute time idea. What do you think Paul?

Do we want to just do the simpler schedule_timeout at HZ / 20 to keep stable
green, and do the absolute-time approach for mainline? That might be better
from a process PoV. But I think stable requires patches to be upstream. Greg?

I will try to send out patches this week to discuss this, thanks,

- Joel