Re: [Enable Designware XGMAC VLAN Stripping Feature 1/2] dt-bindings: net: snps,dwmac: Add description for rx-vlan-offload

From: Krzysztof Kozlowski
Date: Tue Jul 25 2023 - 10:38:35 EST

On 25/07/2023 15:43, Joe Perches wrote:
> On Tue, 2023-07-25 at 08:19 -0500, Mario Limonciello wrote:
>> On 7/25/23 02:33, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>>> Hi Joe,

>>> FTR, this is more or less what I am using to generate a script
>>> to send out patches:
>>>
>>> OUT=...
>>> echo git send-email \\ > $OUT
>>> # Add -cc
>>> # Wrap comment inside $(: ...)
>>> # Replace (...) in comment by [...]
>>> # Replace ] at EOL by ) again
>>> # Add continuation to EOL
>>> scripts/get_maintainer.pl $* | \
>>> tr -d \" | \
>>> sed -e 's/^/--cc "/' \
>>> -e 's/ (/" $(: /' \
>>> -e 's/ (/ [/' -e 's/)/]/' \
>>> -e 's/]$/)/' \
>>> -e 's/$/ \\/' | \
>>> tee -a $OUT
>>> echo "*[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]-*.*" >> $OUT
>>>
>>> After generation, I edit the script to
>>> - Replace some --cc by --to,
>>> - Add/remove some people,
>>> and run "source $OUT" to send the patches...
>>>
>>> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
>>
>> My script is great for single subsystem patches as it gets all the right
>> people but I've found problems whenever it crosses multiple subsystems.
>>
>> Many subsystem owners want to see the whole series of patches to
>> understand how they interact. So the group of patches needs to be
>> treated together which would need the wrapper to look at all patches
>> instead.
>
> Which can't really work all the time as vger has a recipient limit
> and subsystem spanning patches frequently exceed that limit.
>
> bcc's don't work well either as the reply-to chain is broken.
>
> No great solution to that.

For small patchsets (and recipients list) I recommend:
https://github.com/krzk/tools/blob/master/linux/.bash_aliases_linux#L91

For bigger patchsets - Rob's sendemail identity could work:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/CAL_JsqLubWBr2W3xZPsuPLOGav7CFgBdH=aCfT22F_m0_cx3cQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
but cover letter has to be treated separately.

Anyway, it is not the case here. This is small patchset and the
submitter should run get_maintainers.pl on *the patchset*, not on one
chosen file. Running it one one file, ignoring maintainers of all other
patches, does not make sense. There is nothing to fix in
get_maintainers.pl. I believe our docs are also correct here.

Best regards,
Krzysztof