Re: [Question] int3 instruction generates a #UD in SEV VM

From: Wu Zongyo
Date: Wed Aug 02 2023 - 07:56:24 EST

On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 11:45:29PM +0800, wuzongyong wrote:

> On 2023/7/31 23:03, Tom Lendacky wrote:

> >> Have you tried my suggestions from the other thread[*]?
> Firstly, I'm sorry for sending muliple mails with the same content. I thought the mails I sent previously
> didn't be sent successfully.
> And let's talk the problem here.
> >>
> >> : > > I'm curious how this happend. I cannot find any condition that would
> >> : > > cause the int3 instruction generate a #UD according to the AMD's spec.
> >> :
> >> : One possibility is that the value from memory that gets executed diverges from the
> >> : value that is read out be the #UD handler, e.g. due to patching (doesn't seem to
> >> : be the case in this test), stale cache/tlb entries, etc.
> >> :
> >> : > > BTW, it worked nomarlly with qemu and ovmf.
> >> : >
> >> : > Does this happen every time you boot the guest with your firmware? What
> >> : > processor are you running on?
> >> :
> Yes, every time.
> The processor I used is EPYC 7T83.
> >> : And have you ruled out KVM as the culprit? I.e. verified that KVM is NOT injecting
> >> : a #UD. That obviously shouldn't happen, but it should be easy to check via KVM
> >> : tracepoints.
> >
> > I have a feeling that KVM is injecting the #UD, but it will take instrumenting KVM to see which path the #UD is being injected from.
> >
> > Wu Zongyo, can you add some instrumentation to figure that out if the trace points towards KVM injecting the #UD?
> Ok, I will try to do that.
You're right. The #UD is injected by KVM.

The path I found is:
svm_vcpu_run
svm_complete_interrupts
kvm_requeue_exception // vector = 3
kvm_make_request

vcpu_enter_guest
kvm_check_and_inject_events
svm_inject_exception
svm_update_soft_interrupt_rip
__svm_skip_emulated_instruction
x86_emulate_instruction
svm_can_emulate_instruction
kvm_queue_exception(vcpu, UD_VECTOR)

Does this mean a #PF intercept occur when the guest try to deliver a
#BP through the IDT? But why?

Thanks