Re: [net-next Patch 4/5] octeontx2-af: replace generic error codes

From: Jakub Kicinski
Date: Thu Aug 24 2023 - 11:20:14 EST

On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 05:41:01 +0000 Hariprasad Kelam wrote:
> > > The custom error codes are not liked upstream, they make much harder
> > > for people who don't work on the driver to refactor it.
> > >
> > > If you want debugging isn't it better to add a tracepoint to the checks?
> >
> > Hari>> These error codes are added in AF mailbox handlers, user space tools
> > like ethool ,tc won't see these since these are between pf netdev and AF.
> > During netdev driver probe/open calls, it requests AF driver to configure
> > different hardware blocks MAC/network etc. If there is any error instead of
> > getting EPERM, we will get block specific error codes like
> > LMAC_AF_ERR_INVALID_PARAM, NIX_AF_ERR_PARAM etc.
>
> Jakub,
> Any comments here?

Please learn how to use email correctly.

Hari>>

Makes the entire line rendered as a quote in many email clients,
because the gt than sign is a quote marker.

You should also wrap your lines.

If you want to return the block which failed to the caller you can
do that, but not instead of the error code.