RE: [EXT] Re: resctrl2 - status

From: Amit Singh Tomar
Date: Tue Aug 29 2023 - 13:21:44 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Cameron <Jonathan.Cameron@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2023 3:53 PM
To: Reinette Chatre <reinette.chatre@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Luck, Tony <tony.luck@xxxxxxxxx>; Amit Singh Tomar <amitsinght@xxxxxxxxxxx>; Yu, Fenghua <fenghua.yu@xxxxxxxxx>; james.morse@xxxxxxx; George Cherian <gcherian@xxxxxxxxxxx>; robh@xxxxxxxxxx; peternewman@xxxxxxxxxx; Drew Fustini <dfustini@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; linux-arm-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EXT] Re: resctrl2 - status

External Email

On Fri, 25 Aug 2023 13:20:22 -0700
Reinette Chatre <reinette.chatre@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Tony,

> >> A user space utility or a kernel provided utility? If it is a user
> >> space utility I think it would end up needing to duplicate what the
> >> kernel is required to do to know if a particular feature is
> >> supported. It seems appropriate that this could be a kernel utility
> >> that can share this existing information with user space. resctrl already supports the interface for this via /sys/fs/resctrl/info.
> >
> > I was imagining a user space utility. Even though /proc/cpuinfo
> > doesn't show all features, a utility has access to all the CPUID
> > leaves that contain the details of each feature enumeration.
>
> For x86 that may work (in some scenarios, see later) for now but as I
> understand Arm would need a different solution where I believe the
> information is obtained via ACPI. I think it is unnecessary to require
> user space to have parsers for CPUID and ACPI if that same information
> needs to be parsed by the kernel and there already exists an interface
> with which the information is communicated from kernel to user space.
> Also, just because information CPUID shows a feature is supported by
> the hardware does not mean that the kernel has support for that
> feature. This could be because of a feature mismatch between user
> space and kernel, or even some features disabled for use via the, for example "rdt=!l3cat", kernel parameter.

James probably also has views on this, but I wouldn't expect userspace to go anywhere near ACPI parsing. If the description of what MPAM features are supported (before resctrl is running) is necessary, then we should add it to the existing description of the various caches etc. Maybe somewhere in /sys/bus/node/devices/nodeX/cpuY/cache/indexZ/
for the caches
and
/sys/bus/node/devices/nodeX for the DRAM controllers.
[>>] Or may be all the MPAM features list is unified at one place, something like this ?
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/morse/linux.git/commit/?h=mpam/snapshot/v6.5-rc1&id=c32874cd1d68241c481a9d0c32c8c65d019c247e

I'm sure we can find somewhere sensible for other things covered by MPAM.
The MPAM table parsers and some early code to query features from the hardware should be able to figure out what is needed.

Perhaps x86 systems could provide similar descriptions but originating from CPUID etc.

Jonathan