Re: usb-storage: how to extend quirks flags to 64bit?

From: Alan Stern
Date: Thu Aug 31 2023 - 11:55:08 EST

On Wed, Aug 30, 2023 at 10:39:07PM +0200, Milan Broz wrote:

> > > Hm, yes, thanks for the idea,that is a possible solution.
> > > It will need to modify all unusual macros, though. Just I am not sure I want
> > > to spent time patching all the drivers as I have not way how to test it.
> >
> > I don't think it will be necessary to change all those macros, just the
> > ones in usual_tables.c. And to create the new table containing the
> > actual flag values, of course.
> >
> > There will also have to be a new argument to usb_stor_probe1()
> > specifying whether the id->driver_info field is standard (i.e., it
> > contains the flags directly) or is one of the new indirect index values.
> >
> > And you'll have to figure out a comparable change to the dynamic device
> > ID table mechanism.
> >
> > (If you want to be really fancy about it, you could design things in
> > such a way that the indirect flags approach is used only on 32-bit
> > systems. 64-bit systems can put the new flag bits directly into the
> > driver_info field. However, it's probably best not to worry about this
> > initially.)
>
> Hi Alan,
>
> So, I really tried this approach, spent more time on in than I expected, but
> produced working code... that I am really not proud of :-]
> (Thus avoiding to send it here, for now.)
>
> I pushed it to my dm-cryptsetup branch here
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mbroz/linux.git/log/?h=dm-cryptsetup

I haven't had a chance to look at your changes yet, and I might not get
around to it for a while.

> The last patch is the reason why I need it, just for reference.
> More comments in the patch headers.
>
> Could you please check it if it is *really* what we want?
> If so, I'll rebase it for usb next tree and send as a patchset.
>
> But the macro magic is crazy... and I really did not find the better way.

Another possibility is to create a simple pre-processor program that
would read the unusual_devs files and massage the information into the
form the driver will want. Such a program could do things that the C
preprocessor isn't capable of.

For example, with this approach you could keep the original flag bits in
positions 0 - 30, and reserve bit 31 as an indicator that there are
additional flags stored in an "overflow" table entry. This extra table
could be relatively short, since it would need to contain only a small
number of entries. I can't think of any way to get the C preprocessor
to do this, but it would be easy to have a separate program do it.

> Anyway, it also uncovered some problems
> - some macros need to be changed a little bit, there is even old one unused

It doesn't hurt to have someone with fresh eyes taking a look at this. :-)

> - duplicity of entries in UAS and mass-storage are strange (and complicates
> the approach).
> I guess the sorting is intentionally that mass-storage is included
> before UAS, so the mass-storage quirk is found as the first (for non-UAS).
> (While UAS drive includes only own header.)

It's a little tricky because the two drivers need to be aware, to some
extent, of which devices either prefer to use UAS or can't work with UAS.

> - the patch significantly increases size of module for 32bit
> (64bit system use the direct flag store approach)

The "overflow table" approach would help a lot with this.

> - I stored a pointer to the flags array, not the index. Perhaps it should be
> index only (trivial change, though).

Alan Stern