Re: [GIT PULL] first round of SCSI updates for the 6.4+ merge window

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Sep 02 2023 - 15:08:51 EST

On Sat, 2 Sept 2023 at 00:39, James Bottomley
<James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Updates to the usual drivers (ufs, lpfc, qla2xxx, mpi3mr, libsas) and
> the usual minor updates and bug fixes but no significant core changes.

Removing 3000+ lines for UFS HPB support wasn't even worth mentioning?

I am happy to see it gone, and maybe as a technology it was a failure
not worth it, but as a "we gave up on it as being worthless" might
still have been worth a word or two..

Sadly, I see from the commit message that apparently the next stage is
going to involve zoned storage. Now *there* is a technology that seems
to be a complete failure, brought to us by the same kind of failed
hardware people who tried to convince us that we should care about
64kB pages in SSD's.

Oh well. With enough thrust, even a pig will fly. I suspect that's the
motivating factor behind all those zoned storage things too.

Linus