[REGRESSION] comedi: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies

From: Ian Abbott
Date: Mon Sep 04 2023 - 10:28:43 EST

Hi,

Commit b5c75b68b7de ("comedi: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies") in v6.5-rc1 onwards makes it impossible to select some comedi configuration options that were previously selectable. In addition to adding 'depends on HAS_IOPORT' directives (which is OK for most of the options), it also changes 'select COMEDI_8254', 'select COMEDI_DAS08', 'select COMEDI_NI_LABPC', and 'select COMEDI_AMPLC_DIO200' directives to 'depends on' directives. Since there is no other way to select those options it renders the options that depend on them permanently disabled.
It also adds a dependency on HAS_IOPORT to COMEDI_PCI_DRIVERS even though several configuration options that depend on COMEDI_PCI_DRIVERS are for drivers that neither use I/O ports nor depend on modules that call the I/O port functions (inb()/outb() and friends).

Arnd Bergmann recommends[1] reverting the patch and following up with a fixed version. I intend to do that. Niklas Schnelle confirms[2] that it will not break anything.

[1] Link: https://lore.kernel.org/all/33c2292b-08cb-44c7-9438-07d4060976ab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[2] Link: https://lore.kernel.org/all/65d620b2644e2d60b041815fa4bb544a818ae55a.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

#regzbot introduced: b5c75b68b7de

--
-=( Ian Abbott <abbotti@xxxxxxxxx> || MEV Ltd. is a company )=-
-=( registered in England & Wales. Regd. number: 02862268. )=-