Re: [RFC] scmi: pinctrl: support i.MX9

From: AKASHI Takahiro
Date: Wed Sep 06 2023 - 01:43:55 EST

On Wed, Aug 30, 2023 at 02:37:48PM +0100, Cristian Marussi wrote:
> [...]
> >

> > > If this is the case, I would NOT try to abuse the current SCMI Pinctrl Generic
> > > driver (by Oleksii) by throwing into it a bunch of IMX specific DT parsing,
> > > also because you'll end-up NOT using most of the generic SCMI Pinctrl driver
> > > but just reusing a bit of the probe (customized with your own DT maps
> > > parsing)
> >
> > Only DT map to parse the dts and map to config array. Others are same,
> > so need to export some symbols for pinctrl-scmi-imx.c driver if build imx
> > scmi driver.
> >

> Yes, but you are basically using some exported symbol to parse the DT in
> your way and then you do not use anything of the various
> functions/groups stuff...you just leverage some of the probing stuff and
> then issue you OEM Type configs....I mean most of the picntrl-scmi
> driver would be unused anyway in this scenario.
>

> > > Instead, given that the spec[1.] and the protocol layer[2.] are fine for your
> > > use case and you indeed have already a custom way to parse your DT
> > > mappings, I would say that you could just write your own custom SCMI
> > > driver ( ? pinctrl-imx-scmi), distinct and much more simple than the generic
> > > one, that does its own IMX DT parsing and calls just the SCMI protocol
> > > operations that it needs in the way that your platform expects: so basically
> > > another Pinctrl SCMI driver that does not use the generic pinconf DT
> > > configuration BUT DO USE the underlying SCMI Pinctrl protocol (via its
> > > exposed protocol operations...)
> >
> > I am ok with this approach, but I need use the other ID, saying 0x99, not 0x19,
> > because 0x19 will bind with the pinctrl-scmi.c driver, I could not reuse
> > this ID for i.MX pinctrl-scmi-imx driver. Otherwise there will be issue if both
> > driver are built in kernel image.
> >

> Ok here I lost you.
>
> The protocol ID 0x19 is bound to the protocol layer and identifies the
> standard Pinctrl protocol: usually you use a 0x99 to define and describe
> you own specific NEW vendor protocol, BUT here you are saying you are fine to
> use std Pinctrl spec AND the protocol operations as exposed in pinctrl.c, so
> I dont see why you should use a new vendor protocol_id to basically
> expose the same operations. (and I also dont see how you can do that
> without hacks in the current codebase)
>
> You CAN have multiple SCMI drivers using the same protocol at the same
> time (even more than one protocol at the same time), even though we try
> to avoid it if there are no good reason to have more than one driver, there
> is nothing in the spec or in the current SCMI platform or agent stacks that
> inhibits such scenario (and I use iot heavily for my offline testing
> indeed.)
>
> Look at:
>
> - drivers/hwmon/scmi-hwmon
> - drivers/iio/common/scmi_sensors/scmi_iio.c
>
> and you'll see that these 2 drivers uses the same SENSOR protocol, just for
> different sensor types so they do not interfere one with each other.

Then, how are those two devices identified in a device tree?
That is the point in Peng's case and why he wants to have a dedicated
protocol id (I don't agree to this, though.)
If we follow Cristian's idea, we may want to have two dt nodes, say
pinctrl-scmi-generic and pinctrl-scmi-imx, as phandles for other device
nodes to refer to pins, respectively.
I think there is currently no mechanism (or binding?) to allow this
except adding a protocol id.

-Takahiro Akashi