Re: Regression with AX88179A: can't manually set MAC address anymore

From: Sergio Callegari
Date: Wed Sep 06 2023 - 07:37:47 EST

On 06/09/2023 03:43, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
On Tue, Sep 05, 2023 at 09:34:53PM +0200, Sergio Callegari wrote:
I mean that with kernel 5.15 I could use the in-tree module with some
glitches (interface occasionally stopping on teleconferencing) as well as
the indicated out of tree module with no glitches.

With current kernels (certainly from 6.2 on) manually setting a MAC address
breaks the interface. Furthermore, even if it compiles and loads fine, it is
impossible to use the out of tree module because it does not create the eth
device anymore (the eth device now appears with the cdc_ncn module). Being
this an out of tree module, this is not very important, though.
Then can you please file issue against your external module on that
GH link?

Done, but as mentioned, out-of-tree implementations on GH are less interesting than having the in-tree driver working properly.

So if the in-tree driver could be fixed to correctly support the manual configuration of the hardware (MAC) address as it used to be that would be the best. I hope that Andrew Lunn's hypothesis is correct, and that cdc_ncm can be extended to work with AX88179A even when a manual MAC addr is configured.

Thanks,

Sergio