Re: resctrl2 - status

From: Tony Luck
Date: Fri Sep 08 2023 - 19:13:59 EST

On Fri, Sep 08, 2023 at 04:35:05PM -0500, Moger, Babu wrote:
> Hi Tony,

> > > I tried your latest code briefly on my system. Unfortunately, I could
> > > not get it to work on my AMD system.
> > >
> > > # git branch -a
> > > next
> > > * resctrl2_v65
> > > # ]# uname -r
> > > 6.5.0+
> > > #lsmod |grep rdt
> > > rdt_show_ids 12288 0
> > > rdt_mbm_local_bytes 12288 0
> > > rdt_mbm_total_bytes 12288 0
> > > rdt_llc_occupancy 12288 0
> > > rdt_l3_cat 16384 0
> > >
> > > # lsmod |grep mbe
> > > amd_mbec 16384 0
> > >
> > > I could not get rdt_l3_mba
> > >
> > > # modprobe rdt_l3_mba
> > > modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'rdt_l3_mba': No such device
> > >
> > > I don't see any data for the default group either.
> > >
> > > mount -t resctrl resctrl /sys/fs/resctrl/
> > >
> > > cd /sys/fs/resctrl/mon_data/mon_L3_00
> > >
> > > cat mbm_summary
> > > n/a n/a /
> > Babu,
> >
> > Thank a bunch for taking this for a quick spin. There's several bits of
> > good news there. Several modules automatically loaded as expected.
> > Nothing went "OOPS" and crashed the system.
> >
> > Here’s the code that the rdt_l3_mba module runs that can cause failure
> > to load with "No such device"
> >
> > if (!boot_cpu_has(X86_FEATURE_RDT_A)) {
> > pr_debug("No RDT allocation support\n");
> > return -ENODEV;
> > }
>
> Shouldn't this be ?(or similar)
>
> if (!rdt_cpu_has(X86_FEATURE_MBA))
>                 return false;

Yes. I should be using X86_FEATURE bits where they are available
rather than peeking directly at CPUID register bits.

> > mba_features = cpuid_ebx(0x10);
> >
> > if (!(mba_features & BIT(3))) {
> > pr_debug("No RDT MBA allocation\n");
> > return -ENODEV;
> > }
> >
> > I assume the first test must have succeeded (same code in rdt_l3_cat, and
> > that loaded OK). So must be the second. How does AMD enumerate MBA
> > support?
> >
> > Less obvious what is the root cause of the mbm_summary file to fail to
> > show any data. rdt_mbm_local_bytes and rdt_mbm_total_bytes modules
> > loaded OK. So I'm looking for the right CPUID bits to detect memory bandwidth
> > monitoring.
>
> I am still not sure if resctrl2 will address all the current gaps in
> resctrl1. We should probably list all issues on the table before we go that
> route.

Indeed yes! I don't want to have to do resctrl3 in a few years to
cover gaps that could have been addressed in resctrl2.

However, fixing resctrl gaps is only one of the motivations for
the rewrite. The bigger one is making life easier for all the
architectures sharing the common code to do what they need to
for their own quirks & differences without cluttering the
common code base, or worrying "did my change just break something
for another CPU architecture".

> One of the main issue for AMD is coupling of LLC domains.
>
> For example, AMD hardware supports 16 CLOSids per LLC domain. But Linux
> design assumes that there are globally 16 total CLOSIDs for the whole
> systems. We can only create 16 CLOSID now irrespective of how many domains
> are there.
>
> In reality, we should be able to create "16 x number of LLC domains" CLOSIDS
> in the systems.  This is more evident in AMD. But, same problem applies to
> Intel with multiple sockets.

I think this can be somewhat achieved already with a combination of
resctrl and cpusets (or some other way to set CPU affinity for tasks
to only run on CPUs within a specific domain (or set of domains).
That's why the schemata file allows setting different CBM masks
per domain.

Can you explain how you would use 64 domains on a system with 4 domains
and 16 CLOSID per domain?

> My 02 cents. Hope to discuss more in our upcoming meeting.
Agreed. This will be faster when we can talk instead of type :-)

-Tony