Re: Possible 6.5 regression: Huge values for "commited memory"

From: Bagas Sanjaya
Date: Tue Sep 12 2023 - 20:28:41 EST

On Sun, Sep 10, 2023 at 07:48:23PM +0200, Christoph Biedl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For the time being, just an observation: I monitor various parameters on
> my systems, and among them is "Committed memory", the Committed_AS value
> in /proc/meminfo.
>
> Since upgrading to the 6.5.x series, I noticed the value there grows way
> higher values then previously in hppa, even if the machine is idle.
> Values seem to rise up to around 1.6 Gbyte, long-term average is rather
> 200-300 Mbyte. Also, I cannot see any memory hogs in top. The workload
> hasn't changed in months.

Upgrading from what version?

Also, can you describe your setup? And what is the value of `Committed_AS`
on the kernel before you upgrade? (Hint: paste full /proc/meminfo from
both old and new kernel.)

> To sum it up, I reckon something went wrong in the memory usage
> accounting. Is this already on radar, or should I start bisecting? That
> might take a lot of time, though.

You can certainly do bisection (see Documentation/admin-guide/bug-bisect.rst
in the kernel sources for how to do that).

Thanks.

--
An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara