[no subject]

From: Ping Gan
Date: Fri Sep 15 2023 - 05:40:45 EST

> On 9/13/2023 1:34 AM, Ping Gan wrote:
> > Since nvme target currently does not support to submit bio to a
> > polling
> > queue, the bio's completion relies on system interrupt. But when there
> > is high workload in system and the competition is very high, so it
> > makes
> > sense to add polling queue task to submit bio to disk's polling queue
> > and poll the completion queue of disk.
> >

> I did some work in the past for nvmet polling and saw good
> performance improvement.
>
> Can you please share performance numbers for this series ?
>
> -ck

hi,
I have verified this patch on two testbeds one for host and the other
for target. I used tcp as transport protocol, spdk perf as initiator.
I do two group tests. The IO size of first is 4K, and the other is 2M.
Both includ randrw, randwrite and randrw. Both have same prerequisites.
At the initiator side I used 1 qp, 32 queue depth,and 1 spdk perf
application, and for target side I bound tcp queue to 1 target core.
And I get below results.
iosize_4k polling queue interrupt
randrw NIC_rx:338M/s NIC_tx:335M/s NIC_rx:260M/s
NIC_tx:258M/s
randwrite NIC_rx:587M/s NIC_rx:431M/s
randread NIC_tx:873M/s NIC_tx:654M/s

iosize_2M polling queue interrupt
randrw NIC_rx:738M/s NIC_tx:741M/s NIC_rx:674M/s
NIC_tx:674M/s
randwrite NIC_rx:1199M/s NIC_rx:1146M/s
randread NIC_tx:2226M/s NIC_tx:2119M/s

For iosize 4k the NIC's bandwidth of poling queue is more than 30% than
bandwidth of interrupt. But for iosize 2M the improvement is not obvious,
the randrw of polling queue is about 9% more than interrupt; randwrite
and randread of polling queue is about 5% more than interrupt.

Thanks,
Ping