Re: [RFC 1/2] dt-bindings: iio: imu: Add DT binding doc for BMI323

From: Linus Walleij
Date: Tue Oct 10 2023 - 15:51:32 EST

On Tue, Oct 10, 2023 at 4:42 PM Jonathan Cameron <jic23@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We kind of lost the question along the way. Wasn't so much about whether
> there was a generic binding but more about whether it is worth providing
> separate controls for the two IRQ pins? Or just assume no one is crazy
> enough to play that level of mix and match.

Ugh no, that's upfront design for a nonexistent use case.

- First, to even consider open drain the designer need to be really
short of IRQ lines/rails, and, despite knowing it's a bad idea, decide
to share this line between several peripherals, even though it will
require I2C traffic to just determine which one even fired the IRQ.

- Second, be interested in using two IRQs to distinguish between
different events? When we just faced the situation that we had
too few IRQ lines so we need to start sharing them with open
drain...?

It's not gonna happen.

Stay with just drive-open-drain; and configure them all as that if
that property is set.

Yours,
Linus Walleij