Re: On brcm80211 maintenance and support

From: Florian Fainelli
Date: Thu Oct 12 2023 - 12:25:55 EST

On 10/12/23 01:41, Arend van Spriel wrote:
[snip]
I have a patch to enable WPA3 in Broadcom chipsets (yes, the driver is
in such a sorry state it doesn't even support that yet). The current
support attempt was added by a Cypress engineer and uses a completely
different firmware mechanism. Is that supposed to actually work? Does it
work currently? Is that the case for all Cypress firmwares? Or only
some? Does the alternate mechanism we have for Broadcom chips work too?
Only Cypress can answer those questions ahead of time, and they aren't
(they ignored me last time I brought this up). So my current patch just
replaces the mechanism with the known-working one for Broadcom chips.

This is mainly why I introduced the vendor-split concept so we can keep the Cypress mechanism and allow a different mechanism for Broadcom chips. The Cypress mechanism did not work for the Broadcom chips I have so I wanted to test it on the Cypress chips I got shipped long ago and they simply do not come up. Have not tried with RPi as it is not running vanilla kernel. Could try with a backports driver.

You can run mainline on all of the Raspberry Pi devices, as far as Wi-Fi is concerned I cannot think of any major roadblocks, if not, email me privately and we can figure this one out.
--
Florian