Re: uinput: waiting for UI_FF_UPLOAD events will not inform user when allocation is required

From: John Salamon
Date: Sat Oct 14 2023 - 02:33:01 EST

Hi Dmitry,

Thank you for the clarification.

> The handler of force feedback effects should know what effects (with
> what IDs) have been uploaded to the device so far, so whenever it sees a
> request for an effect with previously unseen effect_id it should
> recognize this as a signal that a new effect/id has been allocated by
> the kernel.

In that case, would you consider accepting a patch adding a sentence
or two explaining that handlers will need to keep track of effect IDs
in this manner? Either in uinput documentation or just in the comment
describing how to implement upload_effect() in uinput.h. Something
along the lines of "Effects received here will never have an ID of -1.
Handlers of these effects must recognize previously unseen effect IDs
to know when a new effect has been allocated.".

Cheers,
John