Re: the nul-terminated string helper desk chair rearrangement

From: James Bottomley
Date: Thu Oct 26 2023 - 07:39:53 EST

On Thu, 2023-10-26 at 12:01 +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > > There's some docs at [1]. Perhaps there could be more?
> > >
> > > [1]:
> > > https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v6.6-rc6/source/include/linux/fortify-string.h#L292
> >
> > Right, And it's even valid kern-doc, which gets rendered in the
> > kernel API docs, along with all the other string functions:
> > https://docs.kernel.org/core-api/kernel-api.html#c.strscpy
>
> Well, I never use the generated kerneldoc because it's much harder
> than just grepping the tree, but indeed it exists even if it's hidden
> in the most obsfucated way.  But at least I know now!

This, honestly, is one of the really annoying problems of kerneldoc.
When looking for structures or functions

git grep "<function> -"

usually finds it. However, I recently asked on linux-scsi if we could
point to the doc about system_state and what it meant. However, either
we all suck or there's no such documentation because no-one could find
it.

While it's nice in theory to have everything documented, it's not much
use if no one can actually find the information ...

James