Re: Blank screen on boot of Linux 6.5 and later on Lenovo ThinkPad L570

From: Huacai Chen
Date: Sat Oct 28 2023 - 21:43:13 EST

On Sat, Oct 28, 2023 at 7:06 PM Jaak Ristioja <jaak@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 26.10.23 03:58, Huacai Chen wrote:
> > Hi, Jaak,

> >> I'm sorry, what was it exactly you want me to do? Please be mindful that
> >> I'm not familiar with the internals of the Linux kernel and DRI, and it
> >> might sometimes take weeks before I have time to work and respond on this.
> > It doesn't matter. I hope you can do some experiments to investigate
> > deeper. The first experiment you can do is enabling SIMPLEFB (i.e.
> > CONFIG_FB_SIMPLE) instead of SIMPLEDRM (CONFIG_DRM_SIMPLEDRM) to see
> > whether there is also a blank screen. If no blank screen, that
> > probably means SIMPLEDRM has a bug, if still blank screen, that means
> > the firmware may pass wrong screen information.
>
> Testing with 6.5.9 I get a blank screen with CONFIG_DRM_SIMPLEDRM=y and
> get no blank screen with CONFIG_FB_SIMPLE=y and CONFIG_DRM_SIMPLEDRM unset.
CONFIG_FB_SIMPLE and CONFIG_DRM_SIMPLEDRM use the same device created
by sysfb_init(). Since FB_SIMPLE works fine, I think the real problem
is that DRM_SIMPLEDRM has a bug. The next step is to enable
CONFIG_DRM_SIMPLEDRM and trace its initialization. In detail, adding
some printk() in simpledrm_probe() and its sub-routines to see where
the driver fails. The output of these printk() can be seen by the
'dmesg' command after boot.

Huacai