Re: Linux regressions report for mainline [2023-10-29]

From: Huacai Chen
Date: Sun Oct 29 2023 - 22:18:33 EST

Hi, Linus,

On Mon, Oct 30, 2023 at 1:19 AM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Oct 2023 at 03:52, Regzbot (on behalf of Thorsten Leemhuis)
> <regressions@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > One of the remaining ones is new:
> > module loading trouble on some laptops. Not nice, but likely nothing
> > many users will encounter. The quota compilation oddity problem from
> > Andy is also still around (unless it was fixed without me noticing); and
> > a memleak, too.
>
> The quota thing remains unexplained, and honestly seems like a timing
> issue that just happens to hit Andy. Very strange, but I suspect that
> without more reports (that may or may not ever happen), we're stuck.
>
> > * There was another report about a blank screen during boot on a Lenovo
> > laptop because simpledrm (that users apparently had enabled without
> > problems beforehand) started to support those machines due to
> > 60aebc9559492c ("drivers/firmware: Move sysfb_init() from
> > device_initcall to subsys_initcall_sync"). I suggested a revert, but the
> > developers disagree (to quote: "From my point of view, this is not a
> > regression, 60aebc9559492c doesn't cause a problem, but exposes a
> > problem.")
>
> Honestly, "exposes a problem" is pretty much the *definition* of a
> regression. So that excuse is particularly bad.
>
> The whole point of "regression" is "things that used to work no longer work".
>
> And no, "there's another bug that needs to be fixed" is _not_ the
> answer - not unless you have that fix in hand.
>
> That said, this already went into 6.5, so I'm not going to revert it
> now just before the 6.6 release. That would be more dangerous than
> just letting things be. But yes, a revert is likely the right thing to
> do, unless people have figured out what is wrong with simplefb.

We are investigating and hope the simpledrm problem can be fixed in
some days [1], and the blank screen seems not a very harmful problem
(maybe I'm wrong but I think most of people are using GUI now). So,
can we keep the commit 60aebc9559492c at this time?

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/dri-devel/CAAhV-H7UTnTWQeT_qo7VgBczaZo37zjosREr16H8DsLi21XPqQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/T/#t

Huacai