Re: How to pass software configuration to driver built as module in boot up phase

From: Google
Date: Mon Oct 30 2023 - 19:35:11 EST

On Mon, 30 Oct 2023 19:21:48 +0800
Tingwei Zhang <quic_tingweiz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Masami, Greg and Rafael,
>
> I have one driver that needs a bunch to software configuration like 1000
> settings. These settings can be different according to the use case.

Is it an out-of-tree driver which can not be embedded?

> They are required in boot up phase so we can't reply on user space to
> make the configuration.
>
> Boot config is not preferred since we'd like to build that driver as
> dynamic load Kernel module.
>
> Could you let me know if there's any mechanism in Kernel to do that?

Hm, it is interesting situation. So I made the bootconfig API and data
released after boot (only keep it in /proc/bootconfig). So I thought
module loader script can parse it and pass params to the modules.
But I did not expected that the number of params is about 1000.

Thank you,

--
Masami Hiramatsu (Google) <mhiramat@xxxxxxxxxx>