Re: How to pass software configuration to driver built as module in boot up phase

From: Tingwei Zhang
Date: Mon Oct 30 2023 - 22:56:37 EST

On 10/30/2023 7:30 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
On Mon, Oct 30, 2023 at 07:21:48PM +0800, Tingwei Zhang wrote:
Hi Masami, Greg and Rafael,

I have one driver that needs a bunch to software configuration like 1000
settings. These settings can be different according to the use case.

That seems very odd, what type of driver is this?
The example use case is below DCC driver which is a DMA engine. It can be configured to read/write registers while whose registers need to be configured by software. It's mainly used to debug device crash issue.
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/cover.1691496290.git.quic_schowdhu@xxxxxxxxxxx/T/

They are required in boot up phase so we can't reply on user space to make
the configuration.

Boot config is not preferred since we'd like to build that driver as dynamic
load Kernel module.

Could you let me know if there's any mechanism in Kernel to do that?

What is wrong with the existing ways of doing this that all other
drivers use?
I'm not aware of all the existing ways. Below ways are what I know and they may not be suitable for some reason.
1. Let user space to configure with sysfs/debugfs/ioctl interface. Since we need this configuration to be done in early stage before user space is up. This doesn't work.
2. Use device tree to pass the configuration to driver. Since the configuration is software configuration instead of hardware descirption. It doesn't fit in device tree.
3. Boot config or commandline parameter. If the driver is built in, it can work. But it doesn't work for dynamically loadable Kernel module.

I started this thread to look for suitable way in Kernel for driver to use.

thanks,

greg k-h

--
Thanks,