Re: [kvm-unit-tests Patch v2 4/5] x86: pmu: Support validation for Intel PMU fixed counter 3

From: Mi, Dapeng
Date: Tue Oct 31 2023 - 23:16:15 EST

On 11/1/2023 10:47 AM, Jim Mattson wrote:
On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 7:33 PM Mi, Dapeng <dapeng1.mi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 11/1/2023 2:47 AM, Jim Mattson wrote:
On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 2:22 AM Dapeng Mi <dapeng1.mi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Intel CPUs, like Sapphire Rapids, introduces a new fixed counter
(fixed counter 3) to counter/sample topdown.slots event, but current
code still doesn't cover this new fixed counter.

So this patch adds code to validate this new fixed counter can count
slots event correctly.
I'm not convinced that this actually validates anything.

Suppose, for example, that KVM used fixed counter 1 when the guest
asked for fixed counter 3. Wouldn't this test still pass?

Per my understanding, as long as the KVM returns a valid count in the
reasonable count range, we can think KVM works correctly. We don't need
to entangle on how KVM really uses the HW, it could be impossible and
unnecessary.
Now, I see how the Pentium FDIV bug escaped notice. Hey, the numbers
are in a reasonable range. What's everyone upset about?

Yeah, currently the predefined valid count range may be some kind of
loose since I want to cover as much as hardwares and avoid to cause
regression. Especially after introducing the random jump and clflush
instructions, the cycles and slots become much more hard to predict.
Maybe we can have a comparable restricted count range in the initial
change, and we can loosen the restriction then if we encounter a failure
on some specific hardware. do you think it's better? Thanks.
I think the test is essentially useless, and should probably just be
deleted, so that it doesn't give a false sense of confidence.

IMO, I can't say the tests are totally useless. Yes,  passing the tests doesn't mean the KVM vPMU must work correctly, but we can say there is something probably wrong if it fails to pass these tests. Considering the hardware differences, it's impossible to set an exact value for these events in advance and it seems there is no better method to verify the PMC count as well. I still prefer to keep these tests until we have a better method to verify the accuracy of the PMC count.