Re: [RFC 0/3] iommu/intel: Free empty page tables on unmaps

From: Pasha Tatashin
Date: Thu Dec 21 2023 - 09:59:09 EST

On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 9:06 AM Matthew Wilcox <willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 12:42:41AM -0500, Pasha Tatashin wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 12:13 AM Pasha Tatashin
> > <pasha.tatashin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Hi Matthew,
> > >
> > > Thank you for looking at this.
> > >
> > > Could you please explain exactly why refcount can't be used like this?
> > >
> > > After alloc_page() refcount is set to 1, we never reduce it to 0,
> > > every new entry in a page table adds 1, so we get up-to 513, that is
> > > why I added warn like this: WARN_ON_ONCE(rc > 513 || rc < 2); to
> >
> > I guess, what you mean is that other CPUs could temporarily
> > increase/decrease refcount outside of IOMMU management, do you have an
> > example of why that would happen? I could remove the above warning,
> > and in the worst case we would miss an opportunity to free a page
> > table during unmap, not a big deal, it can be freed during another
> > map/unmap event. Still better than today, where we never free them
> > during unmaps.
>
> Both GUP-fast and the page cache will find a page under RCU protection,
> inc it's refcount if not zero, check the page is still the one they were
> looking for, and if not will dec the refcount again. That means if a
> page has been in the page cache or process page tables and you can't
> guarantee that all CPUs have been through the requisite grace periods,
> you might see the refcount increased.

Interesting scenario, it sounds like this could only happen for a
short period of time at the beginning of the life of a page in the
IOMMU Page Table.

> I'm not prepared to make a guarantee that these are the only circumstances
> under which you'll see a temporarily higher refcount than you expect.
> Either currently or in the future. If you use the refcount as anything
> other than a refcount, you're living dangerously. And if you think that
> you'll be the one to do the last refcount put, you're not necessarily
> correct (see the saga around __free_pages() which ended up as commit
> e320d3012d25 fixed by 462a8e08e0e6 (which indicates the rare race does
> actually happen)).
>
> Now, it seems like from your further explanation that the consequence
> of getting this wrong is simply that you fail to free the page early.
> That seems OK, but I insist that you insert some comments explaining
> what is going on and why it's safe so somebody auditing uses of refcount
> doesn't have to reanalyse the whole thing for themself. Or worse that
> somebody working on the iommu sees this and thinks they can "improve"
> on it.

Yes, I can add detailed comments explaining how refcount is used here.

Alternatively, I was thinking of using mapcount:

>From mm_types.h:
* If your page will not be mapped to userspace, you can also use the
four
* bytes in the mapcount union, but you must call
page_mapcount_reset()
* before freeing it.

It sounds like we can safely use _mapcount for our needs, and do
page_mapcount_reset() before freeing pages.

Pasha