Re: sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl/soundwire 6.6.8 kernel outputs no sound on speakers but works on headphones

From: Marc MERLIN
Date: Tue Jan 02 2024 - 05:24:05 EST

On Tue, Jan 02, 2024 at 11:26:18AM +0200, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 23 Dec 2023, Marc MERLIN wrote:
>
> > Howdy,
> >
> > First, apologies if I'm not sending this to the right place, I could not
> > find an approrpriate soundwire/sof mailing list, please redirect me as
> > needed (I had to find an old soundwire message for reference)
> >
> > laptop; Dell XPS 17 9730
> >
> > merlin:~# lspci | grep -i audio
> > 0000:00:1f.3 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation Device 51ca (rev 01)
> >
> > stock mainline 6.6.8 shows the device, but no sound comes out, as if it
> > were muted, but I do not see anyting muted in alsamixer. If I plug in
>
> we'd need a bit more info, especially alsa-info output, to figure out
> whether this is an issue with the mixer settings and/or the drivers.
> Instructions how to get alsa-info output availbale at
> https://thesofproject.github.io/latest/getting_started/intel_debug/suggestions.html

Sure thing. I tried to give a lot fo machine info in my first 2 Emails,
sorry that I missed some.
Reading that page, the good news is that sound output works with the
same 6.5.0-14.generic kernel under ubuntu 23, so at least linux can make
it work without windows needed.

looks like alsa-info mostly gathered what I had captured manually and
posted, but here it is
https://alsa-project.org/db/?f=d732a80cdb3d8e569a97c7dc73a32ddc76aea8a9

I added the modprobe.conf debugging recommended in your page, and that
seems to have killed sound:
https://alsa-project.org/db/?f=7397a0f60194cc275fe7e6c0ed38733559d91382

THanks, done: https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/issues/4758

> There was one bug affecting 9730 variants, but I don't think your case
> is the the same:
> https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/issues/4380

Indeed, I referenced them, thanks.

Marc