Re: [BUG] SHA-3 causes kmod 28 to segfault

From: Russell King (Oracle)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2024 - 13:31:05 EST

On Mon, Jan 08, 2024 at 06:14:17PM +0000, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 8 Jan 2024 at 16:38, Russell King (Oracle)
> <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > When building 6.7 under Debian Oldstable with kmod 28, the installation
> > of modules fails during depmod with a SEGV.
> >

> What is your kernel configuration, and I hope you make config choices
> compatible with your target host OS.

"target host OS" - that's a total misnomer. "host" is generally what
you're building under. "target" is generally what you're building _for_.
So I don't fully understand your comment. Maybe you meant "target _and_
host" ?

> > Running under gdb:
> >
> > Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> > __strlen_sse2 () at ../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/strlen-vec.S:133
> >
> > I have no further information as I can't remember how to get the debug
> > info for packages under Debian - and even if I could, it's probably a
> > bug in the kmod package that Debian will have absolutely no interest in
> > fixing (based on previous experience reporting bugs to Debian.)
>
> For latest kernel and latest kernel features support in kmod, latest
> kmod is required. I.e. patched with
> https://github.com/kmod-project/kmod/commit/510c8b7f7455c6613dd1706e5e41ec7b09cf6703

Would be nice if there was some documentation. Also, as kconfig provides
a mechanism to detect e.g. the version of tooling used to build the
kernel, it would've been nice to detect whether depmod was sufficiently
recent to support SHA3 and make the module signing SHA3 options depend
on that.

Leaving this to a SEGV to indicate that something is wrong isn't user
friendly.

FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!