Re: undefined reference to `__aarch64_cas4_sync' error on arm64 native build

From: Segher Boessenkool
Date: Wed Jan 10 2024 - 09:15:29 EST

On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 01:59:53PM +0800, richard clark wrote:
> A ported driver in linux kernel calls '__sync_val_compare_and_swap',

That is a builtin function. It does not necessarily expand to an actual
function call. aarch64 will typically expand it to inline code.

> the cross-compiler 'aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc' doesn't complain
> '__aarch64_cas1_sync' undefined reference, but the native compiler
> will complain. As Mark mentioned, I double check that both cross and
> native compiler should have ''-moutline-atomics' option enabled, do
> you know the reason for that?

Ah, so you are requesting external functions.

I am no aarch64 expert, but apparently there were some problems in
GCC 11, maybe that is what you saw? Or with some distros, anyway.

It also matters if you have ARMv8.1-A enabled, the LSE instructions.

Open a GCC bug report if you have more details? Thanks,

Segher