Re: [GIT PULL] bcachefs updates for 6.8

From: Kent Overstreet
Date: Sat Jan 20 2024 - 22:24:28 EST

On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 06:19:43PM +0000, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 08:03:35AM -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
>
> > I also have to say, that for all the complaints there's just not any
> > open source pull for test tools (there's no-one who's on a mission to
> > make them better). Demanding that someone else do it is proof of this
> > (if you cared enough you'd do it yourself). That's why all our testing
> > infrastructure is just some random set of scripts that mostly does what
> > I want, because it's the last thing I need to prove the thing I
> > actually care about works.
>
> > Finally testing infrastructure is how OSDL (the precursor to the Linux
> > foundation) got started and got its initial funding, so corporations
> > have been putting money into it for decades with not much return (and
> > pretty much nothing to show for a unified testing infrastructure ...
> > ten points to the team who can actually name the test infrastructure
> > OSDL produced) and have finally concluded it's not worth it, making it
> > a 10x harder sell now.
>
> I think that's a *bit* pessimistic, at least for some areas of the
> kernel - there is commercial stuff going on with kernel testing with
> varying degrees of community engagement (eg, off the top of my head
> Baylibre, Collabora and Linaro all have offerings of various kinds that
> I'm aware of), and some of that does turn into investments in reusable
> things rather than proprietary stuff. I know that I look at the
> kernelci.org results for my trees, and that I've fixed issues I saw
> purely in there. kselftest is noticably getting much better over time,
> and LTP is quite active too. The stuff I'm aware of is more focused
> around the embedded space than the enterprise/server space but it does
> exist. That's not to say that this is all well resourced and there's no
> problem (far from it), but it really doesn't feel like a complete dead
> loss either.

kselftest is pretty exciting to me; "collect all our integration tests
into one place and start to standarize on running them" is good stuff.

You seem to be pretty familiar with all the various testing efforts, I
wonder if you could talk about what you see that's interesting and
useful in the various projects?

I think a lot of this stems from a lack of organization and a lack of
communication; I see a lot of projects reinventing things in slightly
different ways and failing to build off of each other.

> Some of the issues come from the different questions that people are
> trying to answer with testing, or the very different needs of the
> tests that people want to run - for example one of the reasons
> filesystems aren't particularly well covered for the embedded cases is
> that if your local storage is SD or worse eMMC then heavy I/O suddenly
> looks a lot more demanding and media durability a real consideration.

Well, for filesystem testing we (mostly) don't want to be hammering on
an actual block device if we can help it - there are occasionally bugs
that will only manifest when you're testing on a device with realistic
performance characteristics, and we definitely want to be doing some
amount of performance testing on actual devices, but most of our testing
is best done in a VM where the scratch devices live entirely in dram on
the host.

But that's a minor detail, IMO - that doesn't prevent us from having a
common test runner for anything that doesn't need special hardware.