Re: [broonie-ci:regmap-test-format] [regmap] af560701e3: RIP:__regmap_init

From: Oliver Sang
Date: Thu Feb 29 2024 - 20:37:40 EST

hi, Mark Brown,

On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 03:47:33PM +0000, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 11:43:55PM +0800, kernel test robot wrote:
> >

> > Hello,
> >
> > kernel test robot noticed "RIP:__regmap_init" on:
> >
> > commit: af560701e366502504aebae54af374710e35b55b ("regmap: Provide a callback for bus specific initialisation")
> > https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/broonie/ci.git regmap-test-format
> >
> > in testcase: ftrace-onoff
> > version:
> > with following parameters:
> >
> > runtime: 5m
>
> I have no idea how I'm supposed to be able to tell from this mail what
> on earth this test is, and it doesn't seem plausible that anything to
> do with ftrace would be related to a change in the regmap KUnit tests.

sorry for the information is not clear enough.

normally, we want users to follow our reproducer as in
https://download.01.org/0day-ci/archive/20240229/202402292329.a1c8a83f-lkp@xxxxxxxxx/reproduce

however, this 'ftrace-onoff' is just a simple Ftrace on/off test, as in
https://github.com/intel/lkp-tests/blob/master/programs/ftrace-onoff/run
details is as [1]

thanks a lot for pointing out our problems! we are really working on how to make
our reports have clearer tesecase description, this reminders us we should also
pay attention to this kind of simple tests.

regarding the issue itself, we reported due to it can always be reproduced on
this commit, but clean on parent:

5b071e8b2e3e7f02 af560701e366502504aebae54af
---------------- ---------------------------
fail:runs %reproduction fail:runs
| | |
:6 100% 6:6 dmesg.Kernel_panic-not_syncing:Fatal_exception
:6 100% 6:6 dmesg.RIP:__regmap_init

and we noticed there is changes in __regmap_init(), we also noticed the issue
seems happen before the test even starts to run. not sure if the detail dmesg in
https://download.01.org/0day-ci/archive/20240229/202402292329.a1c8a83f-lkp@xxxxxxxxx/dmesg.xz
could supply more information?

if you still think this is a wrong report, or you want us to test any patch,
please just let us know. it's always our great pleasure. Thanks!

[1]
#!/bin/sh
# - runtime

## Ftrace is an internal tracer designed to help out developers and
## designers of systems to find what is going on inside the kernel.
## It can be used for debugging or analyzing latencies and
## performance issues that take place outside of user-space.

$LKP_SRC/lib/reproduce-log.sh

cd /sys/kernel/debug/tracing || die "no /sys/kernel/debug/tracing"

: "${runtime:=300}"

do_test()
{
for tracer in $(cat available_tracers)
do
log_eval "echo $tracer > current_tracer"
log_eval "echo 1 > tracing_on"
log_eval "echo 0 > tracing_on"
done
}