Re: Machine check recovery broken in v6.9-rc1

From: Miaohe Lin
Date: Sat Apr 06 2024 - 23:59:44 EST

On 2024/4/7 8:08, Luck, Tony wrote:
>> This one is against 6.1 (previous one was against v6.9-rc2):
>> Again, compile tested only
>
> Oscar.
>
> Both the 6.1 and 6.9-rc2 patches make the BUG (and subsequent issues) go away.
>
> Here's what's happening.
>
> When the machine check occurs there's a scramble from various subsystems
> to report the memory error.
>
> ghes_do_memory_failure() calls memory_failure_queue() which later
> calls memory_failure() from a kernel thread. Side note: this happens TWICE
> for each error. Not sure yet if this is a BIOS issue logging more than once.
> or some Linux issues in acpi/apei/ghes.c code.
>
> uc_decode_notifier() [called from a different kernel thread] also calls
> do_memory_failure()
>
> Finally kill_me_maybe() [called from task_work on return to the application
> when returning from the machine check handler] also calls memory_failure()
>
> do_memory_failure() is somewhat prepared for multiple reports of the same
> error. It uses an atomic test and set operation to mark the page as poisoned.
>
> First called to report the error does all the real work. Late arrivals take a
> shorter path, but may still take some action(s) depending on the "flags"
> passed in:
>
> if (TestSetPageHWPoison(p)) {
> pr_err("%#lx: already hardware poisoned\n", pfn);
> res = -EHWPOISON;
> if (flags & MF_ACTION_REQUIRED)
> res = kill_accessing_process(current, pfn, flags);
> if (flags & MF_COUNT_INCREASED)
> put_page(p);
> goto unlock_mutex;
> }
>
> In this case the last to arrive has MF_ACTION_REQUIRED set, so calls
> kill_accessing_process() ... which is in the stack trace that led to the:
>
> kernel BUG at include/linux/swapops.h:88!
>
> I'm not sure that I fully understand your patch. I guess that it is making sure to
> handle the case that the page has already been marked as poisoned?
>

> Anyway ... thanks for the quick fix. I hope the above helps write a good
> commit message to get this applied and backported to stable.

Sorry for late. I was just back from my vacation.

> Tested-by: Tony Luck <tony.luck@xxxxxxxxx>

Thanks for both. This should be a issue introduced from commit:

0d206b5d2e0d ("mm/swap: add swp_offset_pfn() to fetch PFN from swap entry")

hwpoison_entry_to_pfn() is replaced with swp_offset_pfn() which might not be intended to be used
with hwpoison entry:

/*
* A pfn swap entry is a special type of swap entry that always has a pfn stored
* in the swap offset. *They are used to represent unaddressable device memory*
* *and to restrict access to a page undergoing migration*
*/
static inline bool is_pfn_swap_entry(swp_entry_t entry)
{
/* Make sure the swp offset can always store the needed fields */
BUILD_BUG_ON(SWP_TYPE_SHIFT < SWP_PFN_BITS);

return is_migration_entry(entry) || is_device_private_entry(entry) ||
is_device_exclusive_entry(entry);
}

I think Oscar's patch is the right fix and it will be better to amend the corresponding comment too.

Thanks.