Re: API break, sysfs "capability" file

From: Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2024 - 13:43:27 EST

[adding the culprit's author to the loop; also CCing everyone else in
the Signed-off-by chain and a few lists that should be in the loop, too]

On 08.04.24 17:13, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> So this broke systemd:
>
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=e81cd5a983bb35dabd38ee472cf3fea1c63e0f23

FWIW, that is e81cd5a983bb35 ("block: stub out and deprecated the
capability attribute on the gendisk") [v6.3-rc1]

> We use the "capability" sysfs attr to figure out if a block device has
> part scanning enabled or not. There seems to be no other API for
> this. (We also use it in our test suite to see if devices match are
> expectations, and older systemd/udev versions used to match agains it
> from udev rules.)
>
> The interface was part of sysfs, and documented:
>
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.5/block/capability.html
>
> While it doesn't list the partscan bit it actually does document that
> one is supposed to look into include/linux/genhd.h for the various
> bits and their meanings. I'd argue that makes them API to some level.
>
> Could this please be reverted? Just keeping the relevant bits (i.e. at
> least the media change feature bit, and the part scanning bit) is
> enough for retaining userspace compat.
>
> (Please consider googling or a github code search or so before removing
> a public API like this. This compat breakage was very much avoidable
> with a tiny bit of googling.)

Thanks for the report. To be sure the issue doesn't fall through the
cracks unnoticed, I'm adding it to regzbot, the Linux kernel regression
tracking bot:

#regzbot ^introduced e81cd5a983bb3
#regzbot title block: sysfs "capability" file broke systemd's checking
for part scanning
#regzbot ignore-activity

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
That page also explains what to do if mails like this annoy you.