Re: API break, sysfs "capability" file

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Tue Apr 09 2024 - 11:19:36 EST

> On Tue, Apr 09, 2024 at 10:19:09AM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> All I am looking for is a very simple test that returns me a boolean:
>> is there kernel-level partition scanning enabled on this device or
>> not.
>
> And we can add a trivial sysfs attribute for that.

And I think we should. I don't know what was being smoked adding a sysfs
interface that exposed internal flag values - and honestly what was
being smoked to rely on that, but I think it's fair to say that the
majority of the fuckup here is on the kernel side.

> At this point we're just better off with a clean new interface.
> And you can use the old hack for < 5.15 if you care strongly enough
> or just talk distros into backporting it to make their lives easier.

We should arguably just stable mark the patch adding the above simple
interface.

--
Jens Axboe