Re: [GIT PULL] MM updates for 6.10-rc1

From: Kent Overstreet
Date: Sun May 19 2024 - 14:02:55 EST

On Sun, May 19, 2024 at 09:48:49AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, 19 May 2024 at 08:32, Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I'm going to take this pull and fix up the cases I find, but I'm not
> > happy with this kind of trivial C preprocessor misuse.
>
> I did some other maco handling cleanup too and tried to regularize
> some of this all, and it seems to work for me. But somebody should
> double-check, and it's possible these patterns should all be
> regularized further with a few helper macros for the whole "add
> __GFP_ZERO to argument list" or similar.

I just double checked slab.h, gfp.h and percpu.h, and scanned through
the diff vs. 6.9 for include/linux/ - looks like you got everything.

I think we can slim down the API surface of slab.h some more too, we're
now exposing three different ways of saying "trace/track this allocation
here": _trace, _track_caller and _noprof vs. normal; I think after a
cycle we can see if the old variants are still needed or can be
consolidated somehow.