Re: Early boot regression from f0551af0213 ("x86/topology: Ignore non-present APIC IDs in a present package")

From: Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis)
Date: Thu May 23 2024 - 01:20:35 EST

On 23.05.24 00:12, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Wed, May 22 2024 at 15:35, Lyude Paul wrote:
>
>> Awesome! This patch does seem to make the system boot, thank you for
>> your help

+1

> The only thing what's awesome here is that it confirms my analysis of
> the underlying problem. I offered Borislav a bet on that, but he
> politely declined :(
>
> The not so awesome part is the question what to do with that insight.
>
> The first issue is that we don't know whether that's only a problem on
> your particular system or if there is an underlying systematic problem
> on that particular CPU variant (model/stepping).

FWIW, Arch Linux and openSUSE Tumbleweed switched to 6.9.1 in the past
few days (Fedora will likely follow in ~two weeks) and I have not yet
seen any reports about problems like this, which is a first small
indicator that this might be a system specific problem; if any such
reports come up I'll mention it here.

Ciao, Thorsten