Re: [GIT PULL] perf tools changes for v6.10

From: Ian Rogers
Date: Sun May 26 2024 - 11:20:50 EST

On Sun, May 26, 2024 at 4:10 AM Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
<acme@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ian's has been working on this for long time, testing all this takes a
> lot of time and requires access to lots of hardware not easily available
> for all of us, so its bound to break here and there, what we do when
> this happens depends on when the problem is detected, and today Linus is
> expected to close the merge window, so a revert is the technical, if not
> pleasant thing to do now.

Agreed. I think the only other option is:
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20240525152927.665498-1-irogers@xxxxxxxxxx/
and then when specifying the CPU cycles event on these Ampere systems
you have to do:

$ perf record -e 'armv8_pmuv3_0/cycles/P' ...

but Linus isn't happy with having to specify a PMU like that. As that
is an ARM/Ampere only problem I'm not sure it is so bad.

Thanks,
Ian