Re: [RFC/PATCH 1/1] tools headers arm64: Sync arm64's cputype.h with the kernel sources

From: Leo Yan
Date: Tue Jun 04 2024 - 16:02:03 EST

On 6/4/24 19:55, Mark Rutland wrote:

[...]

Now more and more Arm CPUs support the data source in SPE and share the same
data source format. It's not scalable for us to adding every CPU variant
into the file util/arm-spe.c.

I would like to expose the PMSIDR_EL1.LDS bit (Data source indicator for
sampled load instructions) via the 'cap' folder, and then we can save this
info into the perf meta data during record phase.

I'd be happy to expose fields from PMSIDR_EL1.

In the perf report, we can parse the meta data and if the
PMSIDR_EL1.LDS bit is set, the tool will parse the data source packet
based on the common format.

I don't believe that's right.

PMSIDR_EL1.LDS indicates that the loaded data source field is
implemented, but even when it is implemented, the format is
IMPLEMENTATION DEFINED.

Thanks for correction. PMSIDR_EL1.LDS bit is necessary but not sufficient for using the common data source format.

Today, Arm Ltd implementations happen to share a format, but that isn't
implied by PMSIDR_EL1.LDS, and there's no guarantee that future CPUs
will all use the same format.

For the moment we'll have to keep adding to this list.

I would like to use an opposite way - we can only maintain CPU variants with special data source format, otherwise, all other CPUs use the common format.

Thanks,
Leo