USB device causing reboot

From: martin f krafft
Date: Fri Jun 07 2024 - 06:04:54 EST

Dear list,

I built myself a new computer with quality components, and was
surprised to have kernel 6.8.9 randomly reboot (at least once per
day). Thanks to netconsole, I was able to see one of the last
messages prior to reboot:

```
[30315.872267] xhci_hcd 0000:0c:00.3: Controller not ready at resume -19
[30315.872295] xhci_hcd 0000:0c:00.3: PCI post-resume error -19!
[30315.872298] xhci_hcd 0000:0c:00.3: HC died; cleaning up
[30315.872316] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, device number 2
```

So I removed `xhci_hcd` for a test, and the system didn't reboot
anymore. So I removed all USB devices, loaded it again, and
subsequently proceeded to add back the USB devices one by one.

Turns out the bad boy is the combination of a [Genesys Logic
Hub](https://linux-hardware.org/?id=usb:05e3-0608), a [MosArt
Wireless
Mouse](https://linux-hardware.org/index.php?id=usb:062a-4102)
plugged into a USB2.0 port on the motherboard.

After I moved the hub to a USB1.1 port, the problem didn't occur
again.

I am happy it works now, and not really keen on wanting to keep
testing this (I am using the system, and reboots are painful), but I
also think this is a bug, and wanted to ask what I could provide to
help isolate the issue, and permit a fix being developed?

Best,

--
.''`. martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o>
: :' : proud Debian developer

dies ist eine manuell generierte email. sie beinhaltet
tippfehler und ist auch ohne großbuchstaben gültig.