Re: cpufreq/thermal regression in 6.10

From: Steev Klimaszewski
Date: Tue Jun 11 2024 - 17:19:46 EST

On 6/11/24 7:02 AM, Johan Hovold wrote:
On Tue, Jun 11, 2024 at 12:54:25PM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
On Mon, Jun 10, 2024 at 1:17 PM Rafael J. Wysocki <rafael@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Jun 9, 2024 at 9:53 AM Johan Hovold <johan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Steev reported to me off-list that the CPU frequency of the big cores on
the Lenovo ThinkPad X13s sometimes appears to get stuck at a low
frequency with 6.10-rc2.

I just confirmed that once the cores are fully throttled (using the
stepwise thermal governor) due to the skin temperature reaching the
first trip point, scaling_max_freq gets stuck at the next OPP:

cpu4/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq:940800
cpu5/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq:940800
cpu6/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq:940800
cpu7/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq:940800

when the temperature drops again.
If this is the step-wise governor, the problem might have been
introduced by commit

042a3d80f118 thermal: core: Move passive polling management to the core

which removed passive polling count updates from that governor, so if
the thermal zone in question has passive polling only and no regular
polling, temperature updates may stop coming before the governor drops
the cooling device states to the "no target" level.

So please test the attached partial revert of the above commit when you can.
Thanks for the quick fix. The partial revert seems to do the trick:

Tested-by: Johan Hovold <johan+linaro@xxxxxxxxxx>

Johan

I can also confirm that it's working here!

Tested-by: Steev Klimaszewski <steev@xxxxxxxx>