[net-next v5 0/2] mlx5: Add netdev-genl queue stats

From: Joe Damato
Date: Wed Jun 12 2024 - 16:09:47 EST

Greetings:

Welcome to v5.

Switched from RFC to just a v5, because I think this is pretty close.
Minor changes from v4 summarized below in the changelog.

Note that my NIC does not seem to support PTP and I couldn't get the
mlnx-tools mlnx_qos script to work, so I was only able to test the
following cases:

- device up at boot
- adjusting queue counts
- device down (e.g. ip link set dev eth4 down)

Please see the commit message of patch 2/2 for more details on output
and test cases.

rfcv4 thread:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kernel/20240604004629.299699-1-jdamato@xxxxxxxxxx/T/

Thanks,
Joe

rfcv4 -> v5:
- Patch 1/2: change variable name 'mlx5e_qid' to 'txq_ix'.
- Patch 2/2:
- remove logic in mlx5e_get_queue_stats_rx for PTP. PTP RX are
always reported in base.
- report PTP TX in mlx5e_get_base_stats only if:
- PTP has ever been opened, and
- either PTP is NULL (closed) or the MLX5E_PTP_STATE_TX bit in its
state is not set

Otherwise, PTP TX will be reported when the txq_ix is passed into
mlx5e_get_queue_stats_tx

rfcv3 -> rfcv4:
- Patch 1/2 now creates a mapping (priv->txq2sq_stats) which maps txq
indices to sq_stats structures so stats can be accessed directly.
This mapping is kept up to date along side txq2sq.

- Patch 2/2:
- All mutex_lock/unlock on state_lock has been dropped.
- mlx5e_get_queue_stats_rx now uses ASSERT_RTNL() and has a special
case for PTP. If PTP was ever opened, is currently opened, and the
channel index matches, stats for PTP RX are output.
- mlx5e_get_queue_stats_tx rewritten to use priv->txq2sq_stats. No
corner cases are needed here because any txq idx (passed in as i)
will have an up to date mapping in priv->txq2sq_stats.
- mlx5e_get_base_stats:
- in the RX case:
- iterates from [params.num_channels, stats_nch) collecting
stats.
- if ptp was ever opened but is currently closed, add the PTP
stats.
- in the TX case:
- handle 2 cases:
- the channel is available, so sum only the unavailable TCs
[mlx5e_get_dcb_num_tc, max_opened_tc).
- the channel is unavailable, so sum all TCs [0, max_opened_tc).
- if ptp was ever opened but is currently closed, add the PTP
sq stats.

v2 -> rfcv3:
- Added patch 1/2 which creates some helpers for computing the txq_ix
and ch_ix/tc_ix.

- Patch 2/2 modified in several ways:
- Fixed variable declarations in mlx5e_get_queue_stats_rx to be at
the start of the function.
- mlx5e_get_queue_stats_tx rewritten to access sq stats directly by
using the helpers added in the previous patch.
- mlx5e_get_base_stats modified in several ways:
- Took the state_lock when accessing priv->channels.
- For the base RX stats, code was simplified to call
mlx5e_get_queue_stats_rx instead of repeating the same code.
- For the base TX stats, I attempted to implement what I think
Tariq suggested in the previous thread:
- for available channels, only unavailable TC stats are summed
- for unavailable channels, all stats for TCs up to
max_opened_tc are summed.

v1 - > v2:
- Essentially a full rewrite after comments from Jakub, Tariq, and
Zhu.

Joe Damato (2):
net/mlx5e: Add txq to sq stats mapping
net/mlx5e: Add per queue netdev-genl stats

drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/en.h | 2 +
.../net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/en/qos.c | 13 +-
.../net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/en_main.c | 143 +++++++++++++++++-

2.25.1