Re: Linux 6.10-rc1

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Fri Jun 14 2024 - 05:02:41 EST

On Thu 2024-06-13 09:17:24, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2024 at 04:09, Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I tried ~6.10-rc1 for a week or so, and it something was very wrong with
> > the performance, likely to do with graphics. Thinkpad X220.
> >
> > It looked like GPU is working way harder than usual, leading to
> > machine overheating and thermal throttling, making machine _really_
> > unusable.
> >
> > I went back to 6.9, and things seem better. At least "have to buy new
> > machine" feeling is gone.
> >
> > Unfortunately, these GPU perfromance issues are not exactly to
> > confirm/debug. Hints would be welcome.
>
> Well, it sounds like it is a big enough performance issue that you can
> definitely feel it fairly easily.
>
> Which would make a bisection possible?

I wanted to go and buy new computer last week. This week ... well, the
machine is not fastest but I'm not looking forward to reinstall.

If I can get at least basic metric on the gpu (%idle? which process
use how much time?), it might be feasible. Is there tool similar for
top?

Best regards,
Pavel
--
People of Russia, stop Putin before his war on Ukraine escalates.