Re: net: dsa: Realtek switch drivers

From: Chris Packham
Date: Mon Jul 08 2024 - 16:42:50 EST

Hi Vladmir,

On 9/07/24 02:23, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
On Fri, Jun 14, 2024 at 01:49:35AM +0000, Chris Packham wrote:
Hi All,

I'm starting to look at some L2/L3 switches with Realtek silicon. I see
in the upstream kernel there are dsa drivers for a couple of simple L2
switches. While openwrt has support for a lot of the more advanced
silicon. I'm just wondering if there is a particular reason no-one has
attempted to upstream support for these switches? If I were to start
grabbing drivers from openwrt and trying to get them landed would that
be a problem?

Thanks,
Chris
What do you mean by the L3 switching functionality, exactly? Offloading
of inter-VLAN routing? Or routing offload in general?

Offloading of inter-VLAN routing. There's also some multicast and qos capability too.

I gather the general idea is to provide mechanisms for the hardware to accelerate parts of the forwarding plane. I haven't got into the details of that yet, my first set of requirements is just around basic L2 switching which I think is pretty well supported at this point.