Re: [GIT PULL] ring-buffer: Updates for 6.11

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Tue Jul 16 2024 - 16:28:15 EST

On 2024-07-16 16:11, Steven Rostedt wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jul 2024 16:05:26 -0400

On 2024-07-16 15:51, Steven Rostedt wrote:

Linus,

tracing/ring-buffer: Have persistent buffer across reboots

Hi Steven,

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but we discussed previously that
you would document the fact that users of this feature are expected
to run the same kernel before/after reboot.

Looking at this PR, I fail to find that documentation, or in fact
any documentation at all. Is this something that was overlooked ?

Hmm, was that for this code, or the one that used the reserved_mem
change, which isn't in this pull request, as it depends on the code
that is going through the mm tree.

Technically it can work with different kernels (I have even done that).
But yeah, it isn't guaranteed to work in such cases. But that is just a
documentation update.

If the documentation just ends up being in a different PR, I have no
objection.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--