Re: [GIT PULL 1/4] soc: driver updates for 6.11

From: Bartosz Golaszewski
Date: Tue Jul 16 2024 - 16:49:47 EST

On Tue, 16 Jul 2024 at 22:34, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jul 2024 at 13:16, Bartosz Golaszewski
> <bartosz.golaszewski@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > TBH it never occurred to me to test pure `make config`. I use `make
> > menuconfig` almost exclusively and never noticed this issue for that
> > reason.
>
> I use "make oldconfig" for every single machine I boot, because why wouldn't I?
>
> Isn't that what everybody does?

I just do `make olddefconfig` hoping that the defaults are sane. Or
build the arm64 defconfig.

> I'm surprised that anybody would re-make their config from scratch
> every time, or use some GUI tool.

Nah, not from scratch. I just take the defaults and reuse them.

> But yes, I'm also perhaps a bit odd in that I do a *lot* of rebooting
> on several machines, and I do it with all these things that come from
> outside.

Yep, that's a totally different workflow from most developers I imagine.

> So I see all those cases where random developers added new Kconfig
> options, and then I have to go look at *why* it's asking me for some
> new driver or whatever, when my hardware hasn't changed.
>
> If I see anything that doesn't default to "n", it immediately raises
> my hackles. Why is somebody trying to push new code on my machine that
> worked just fine without it?
>
> And if I see the same question repeated multiple times (in just
> slightly different guises) for a new feature, I get annoyed.
>
> Linus

I will pay attention to new config options in the future. Thanks for
bringing this to my attention.

Bartosz