Re: My first patch: Implement InPlaceInit for Arc

From: Miguel Ojeda
Date: Wed Jul 17 2024 - 04:52:25 EST

On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 5:48 AM <alexmantel93@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is my very first patch for Linux. I have lifted my arms up, placed my hands on my head, and tensed my non-existent abs. Punch as hard as you can! 🙂 I am happy to receive any feedback or critique, especially regarding whether these are the correct mailing lists for the patch.
>
> Over the past few weeks, I have read a lot of the kernel documentation. However, if I missed any crucial parts, please just point me to the chapters I need to read, particularly concerning the mailing list part.

They are the correct mailing lists :)

A few notes and nits:

- I think this email you sent is intended to be the cover letter of
the other patch. Typically, you would generate your cover letter with
`git format-patch`, which follows some conventions, and then fill it.

However, for a single patch, you can just put this text below the
`---` line (i.e. before the diffstat), and that will not get committed
into the repository.

- Your email's From does not have your name, which is why Git decided
to add From to the body.

- Commits are prefixed with the subsystem/area/... You can take a
look at other changes in the vicinity to get a feeling for what to
write.

- No need for an empty line between Link and Signed-off-by.

I hope that helps, thanks for the patch, and welcome!

Cheers,
Miguel