Re: [v2] arm64: Rename to KERNEL_IMAGE_COMPRESSED_INSTALL kconfig for compressed kernel image

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Jul 26 2024 - 17:48:22 EST

On Fri, 26 Jul 2024 at 13:54, Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And when you check a diff of two of your ARM64 .config?
> What says COMPRESSED_INSTALL to other than the author w/o context :-)?

Even without any context, I think it says "compressed install".

Which seems sensible. Because THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT IT IS.

Now, admittedly I would have preferred not having a config option for
this at all, but we have a sad historical situation of doing something
odd on arm (and parisc).

The RISC-V people used to do the same, but they decided to just make
'install' do whatever image was built, so they base it on a
combination of different config variables: CONFIG_XIP_KERNEL,
CONFIG_RISCV_M_MODE, CONFIG_SOC_CANAAN_K210, and CONFIG_EFI_ZBOOT.

I considered just using our pre-existing CONFIG_EFI_ZBOOT variable,
but without knowing what the different boot loaders do...

Linus