Re: Linux 6.11-rc1

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Wed Jul 31 2024 - 10:38:33 EST

On 7/31/24 01:21, Borislav Petkov wrote:
On Tue, Jul 30, 2024 at 04:54:43PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
You also seemed to say that it only happened with some CPU selections.
Maybe there's something wrong with the ALTERNATIVE() cleanups - I'm
looking at that new "nested alternatives macros" thing, and the odd
games we play with the origin and replacement lengths etc.

That all looks entirely crazy. That file was hard to read before, now
it's just incomprehensible to me.

I'm sorry to hear that. The reason we did it is because it was starting to
become really unwieldy to add a yet another alternative choice N in an
ALTERNATIVE_N call...

Anyway, I'll try to reproduce here. In the meantime, can anyone who can
reproduce - Guenter, Jens - boot that failing kernel with

debug-alternative=-1

and copy dmesg and vmlinux somewhere for me?

It is a lot of output so make sure to catch it all.

Thx.

See http://server.roeck-us.net/qemu/x86-nosmp/ for images; I copied
vmlinux there as well. Various logs are in
http://server.roeck-us.net/qemu/x86-nosmp/logs/; relevant

log-n270-good boots
log-pentium2-bad crashes
cpu-list List of tested CPUs, with results
Note that Opteron_G4 and Opteron_G5 are
broken in upstream qemu since qemu v6.1.

Hope this helps,

Guenter