RE: i.MX8MP IMX-LCDIF Underrun Question(s)

From: Peng Fan
Date: Sun Sep 08 2024 - 23:01:04 EST

> Subject: Re: i.MX8MP IMX-LCDIF Underrun Question(s)
>
> On 06.09.24 3:46 AM, Adam Ford wrote:
> > I have been testing various settings on the HDMI out of the i.MX8MP.
> >
> > I noticed that sometimes my monitor would not sync, but sometimes
> it
> > would on the same resolution/refresh rate. Frieder noted the LCDIF
> > was sometimes underflowing, so read up on it a little bit.
> >
> > In the comments of the LCDIF driver, it's noted:
> > Set FIFO Panic watermarks, low 1/3, high 2/3 .
> >
> > However, in the downstream kernels, NXP changes the threshold to
> 1/2
> > and 3/4 on the LCDIF that drives the HDMI, while leaving the other
> > LCDIF interfaces at the default.
> >
> > When I increased the threshold to 1/2 and 3/4, it appeared that
> > several resolutions that my monitor was struggling to sync started
> > working, and it appeared to sync faster. I don't have an HDMI
> > analyzer, so I cannot verify much beyond knowing if my monitor can
> or
> > cannot sync.
>
> For me this change doesn't seem to cause any improved behavior. My
> monitor still fails to sync every few times I run "modetest -s" .
>
> Also we have a downstream kernel based on 6.1 with backported
> HDMI support and I don't see the issues there. But I need to make
> some further tests to make any reliable statements.

Downstream kernel has some NOC settings that not supported
in upstream kernel, that maybe the issue.

If you check 6.6 kernel, you could see some noc related settings
in imx8mp-blk-ctl.c imx8m-blk-ctl.c and gpcv2.c. You may give a
try with those noc settings applied and see whether that would
improve.

Regards,
Peng.