Re: [syzbot] [net?] KASAN: slab-use-after-free Read in unix_stream_read_actor (2)

From: Kuniyuki Iwashima
Date: Mon Sep 09 2024 - 20:48:56 EST

From: Shoaib Rao <rao.shoaib@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2024 17:29:04 -0700
> I have some more time investigating the issue. The sequence of packet
> arrival and consumption definitely points to an issue with OOB handling
> and I will be submitting a patch for that.

It seems a bit late.
My patches were applied few minutes before this mail was sent.
https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/172592764315.3964840.16480083161244716649.git-patchwork-notify@xxxxxxxxxx/

> kasan does not report any issue because there are none. While the
> handling is incorrect, at no point freed memory is accessed. EFAULT
> error code is returned from __skb_datagram_iter()
>
> /* This is not really a user copy fault, but rather someone
>
> * gave us a bogus length on the skb. We should probably
>
> * print a warning here as it may indicate a kernel bug.
>
> */
>

> fault:
>
> iov_iter_revert(to, offset - start_off);
>
> return -EFAULT;
>
> As the comment says, the issue is that the skb in question has a bogus
> length. Due to the bug in handling, the OOB byte has already been read
> as a regular byte, but oob pointer is not cleared, So when a read with
> OOB flag is issued, the code calls __skb_datagram_iter with the skb
> pointer which has a length of zero. The code detects it and returns the
> error. Any doubts can be verified by checking the refcnt on the skb.
>
> My conclusion is that the bug report by syzbot is not caused by the
> mishandling of OOB,

It _is_ caused by mishandling of OOB as you wrote in your patch.

---8<---
Send OOB
Read OOB
Send OOB
Read (Without OOB flag)

The last read returns the OOB byte, which is incorrect.
---8<---