Re: [syzbot] [net?] KASAN: slab-use-after-free Read in unix_stream_read_actor (2)

From: Kuniyuki Iwashima
Date: Tue Sep 10 2024 - 14:34:14 EST

From: Shoaib Rao <rao.shoaib@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2024 11:16:59 -0700
> On 9/10/2024 10:57 AM, Kuniyuki Iwashima wrote:
> > From: Shoaib Rao <rao.shoaib@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2024 09:55:03 -0700

> >> That is a subpar fix. I am not sure why the maintainers accepted the fix
> >> when it was clear that I was still looking into the issue.
> >
> > Just because it's not a subpar fix and you were slow and wrong,
> > clining to triggering the KASAN splat without thinking much.
> >

> >> Plus the
> >> claim that it fixes the panic is absolutely wrong.
> >
> > The _root_ cause of the splat is mishandling of OOB in manage_oob()
> > which causes UAF later in another recvmsg().
> >
> > Honestly your patch is rather a subpar fix to me, few points:
> >
> > 1. The change conflicts with net-next as we have already removed
> > the additional unnecessary refcnt for OOB skb that has caused
> > so many issue reported by syzkaller
> >
> > 2. Removing OOB skb in queue_oob() relies on the unneeded refcnt
> > but it's not mentioned; if merge was done wrongly, another UAF
> > will be introduced in recvmsg()
> >
> > 3. Even the removing logic is completely unnecessary if manage_oob()
> > is changed
> >
> > 4. The scan_again: label is misplaced; two consecutive empty OOB skbs
> > never exist at the head of recvq
> >
> > 5. ioctl() is not fixed
> >
> > 6. No test added
> >
> > 7. Fixes: tag is bogus
> >
> > 8. Subject lacks target tree and af_unix prefix
>
> If you want to nit pick, nit pick away, Just because the patch email
> lacks proper formatting does not make the patch technically inferior.

Ironically you just nit picked 8.

> My
> fix is a proper fix not a hack. The change in queue_oob is sufficient to
> fix all issues including SIOCATMARK. The fix in manage_oob is just for
> correctness.

Then, it should be WARN_ON_ONCE() not to confuse future readers.

> In your fix I specifically did not like the change made to
> fix SIOCATMARK.

I don't like that part too, but it's needed to avoid the additional refcnt
that is much worse as syzbot has been demonstrating.

> What is most worrying is claim to fixing a panic when it can not even
> happen with the bug.

It's only on your setup. syzbot and I were able to trigger that with
the bug.