Re: Question about config UPROBES and UPROBE_EVENTS

From: Tiezhu Yang
Date: Tue Oct 01 2024 - 02:31:37 EST

On 9/30/24 23:43, Masami Hiramatsu (Google) wrote:
On Mon, 30 Sep 2024 11:32:31 -0400
Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 1 Oct 2024 00:28:13 +0900
Masami Hiramatsu (Google) <mhiramat@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 30 Sep 2024 10:06:30 -0400
Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 30 Sep 2024 09:33:42 +0800
Tiezhu Yang <yangtiezhu@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
the CONFIG_UPROBES is disabled by default and make CONFIG_UPROBE_EVENTS
depending on it, the uprobe_events menu is hidden. I don't like this.

This is somehow like the current status of CONFIG_KPROBES and
CONFIG_KPROBE_EVENTS.

The question is, can uprobes be used without uprobe_events? With the
current BPF work that I haven't been following, it may be possible now.

uprobe_register/unregister APIs are exposed to the kernel modules,
since systemtap had been introduced this feature.

OK, but since they have always been visible, I would just make
CONFIG_UPROBES a normal option and CONFIG_UPROBE_EVENTS select it if it
gets selected, and not depend on it.

Agreed.

Thanks very much for your discussions. I agree with you.

Then, CONFIG_KPROBE_EVENTS should depend on or select CONFIG_KPROBES?
In the current code, CONFIG_KPROBE_EVENTS depend on CONFIG_KPROBES,
the CONFIG_KPROBE_EVENTS menu is hidden if CONFIG_KPROBES is not set.

Thanks,
Tiezhu