Re: [RFC] staging: vt6656: Proposal to delete driver vt6656_stage

From: Malcolm Priestley
Date: Sat Oct 12 2024 - 05:02:31 EST

> Dear Sirs,
>
> Forest Bond contributed this driver in 2009.
>
> The following points let me propose to delete the driver:
> - This driver generates maintenance workload
> - This driver has a maximum 54MBit/s as it supports only 802.11 b/g. Peak throughput is 3MBytes/s.
> - ping times can be 17ms are often above 500ms and worst case 22 seconds.
>
> I suggest deleting the driver as it no longer meets current expectations.
>
> Former Maintainer Forest Bond <forest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> is unreachable.
>
> The staging subsystem needs to focus on drivers that support usable hardware that is available. Newbies can then get the hardware and play around which is fun.
>
> Please consider that support will remain for years in the longterm kernels.
>
> Thanks for any response about your thoughts.
>
> No response will result in a patch for removal in 14 days.

Hi Philipp

The vt6656_stage USB driver is still widely in use, I still use one on my raspberry pi and usually get me out of trouble when main wireless device fails.

I do not see the connection issues that you describe and generally the driver reforms well,

Any b/g devices devices in the wireless/staging tree when used with or sharing with newer ones will have connection problems due to the considerable interference.

I have not problems with deleting the PCI vt6655_stage driver.

Regards

Malcolm